Pages

Monday, February 29, 2016

DIY: At-Home Full Blown Manicures!

Hello there!

I hope you pretty gals are having a fabulous day and that the weather wherever you live is currently beautiful like it is here in Philly. Now, I know that it will not stay for long but a girl can only hope!

Fortunately, I get to escape to the sunshine state for spring break next week to visit my sister! Preparing for the break, I have noticed that I have at least 2 friends getting their nails done at salon every day this week. However, I also noticed that 50% of those friends come back regretting their decision and furious about the money they wasted for a poor nail job. Been there, done that and I feel for them but this is also why I like to maintain and do my nails at home.

In some areas, you can get nails done for $15, which is an awesome deal! However, in my area it is so hard to find a clean place for a decent price.

Disclaimer: I, by no means, have beautiful nails. I bite my nails when I get nervous/anxious, I have nails to define the word "stumpy", and I have no future or chance to pursue my dream of becoming a hand model!

Anyway here are some tips on how I achieve an easy manicure for a fraction of the cost.

1. Invest in proper nail tools
Proper nail tools are worth it, invest in them now so you won't have to dish out the $30 for a mediocre manicure at the nail salon.



2. Cuticles
Cuticles are necessary. You do not want to cut them to short or deeps as they protect us from bacteria, infections, and overall nastiness. Remove them properly for that polished and elongated nail look.

After taking off your old nailpolish:
- Wash your hands to remove the acetone residue
- Apply cuticle oil on to your cuticles
- Wait 30 seconds so your cuticles soften
- Push your cuticles pack and up with a fingernail
(I use my fingernails instead of a cuticle removing tool for steady control and safety)
- Clip off the cuticles with a cuticle clipper (the scissors are not my favorite)

3. Scrub
This is my favorite step! Dead skin clings onto nails even after cuticle removing. The best way to wash away the dead skin, cuticle debris, and chemicals is to use a scrub. You can use a body scrub, nail scrub, or even a face scrub like the St. Ives Apricot scrub. Massage the scrub into your hands and nails gently and rinse. Your hands and nails will look bright and clean after this step.

4. Apply in the proper steps.
By this time your nails should look clean, healthy, and be freshly cut (nails and cuticles). Remember to apply your favorite nailpolish only after a base coat (one to preferably fill in the ridges) and before a top coat (preferably one that is rapid drying and chip-resistant).

5. Adequate drying time.
Proper nail drying takes at least 15 minutes. Most people only wait 5-10 minutes. If you want your polish to look smooth and smudge-free, wait the 15 minutes before doing anything drastic.

Now that is it! I call this a full-blown manicure because if you follow these steps exactly, you will feel pampered and luxurious by the end of it and your paint-job will look like a professional did it (and your wallet won't be crying)! 







No comments:

Post a Comment